Monday, July 12, 2010

Glass Mask - Anime

I just finished the 2005 version of Glass Mask. Fifty-one episodes in about 2 days. Heh. There's been another TV anime, 3 OVAs and 2 live action films as well. These are all based on a manga that has been running since January of 1976. Summary from Anime News Network:
Kitajima Maya, a 13-year old girl with a talent for acting, was discovered by the reclusive actress Tsukikage. The story follows Maya's growing up, intense training, overcoming challenges, and evolving into the foremost actress of her generation (she is about 20 so far). Maya's greatest rival is Himekawa Ayumi, the beautiful daughter of a famous movie couple. They ultimately vied for the most sought-after role - the "Crimson Goddess". An equally important subplot Maya's relationship with the handsome and ruthless entertainment mogul Hayami Masumi, who secretly became her number one fan, but misunderstandings and bad-timing obstructed their romance.....
This show has a compilation of so much that I like about shojo manga/anime. Strong female lead, worthy rival, several love interests, one destined love, challenges, and triumph. There's something about Masumi that makes you want to root for him, even though he's been such an amazing jerk sometimes. It's nice to see Maya grow and change. The anime was undoubtedly much much faster than the manga. I wonder how much they cut out.

It took me a few episodes to get into this one, but dagnabit, I love the story. I found myself cheering for Maya, crying when her Mom died, and feeling downright anxious about her relationship with Masumi.  I feel like I have to hunt down the manga now. I don't know if I want to start reading it from the beginning or .... *sigh* I'm going to read it from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment