Saturday, July 31, 2010

Scanlations - Cleaning and Typesetting

So I had so much fun doing KWMS Chapter 52 that I'm going to apply to be a cleaner/typesetter for Franky House. What is cleaning and typesetting, you say?

Cleaning is the process of taking the raws, or scanned pages of a manga, and cleaning it up so it is easy to read, sharp, and pretty. Many teams remove the Japanese sound effects as well, which can be very difficult since you have to reconstruct the art that was obscured by the sound effect text.  

Typesetting seems like it should be really easy. You put text in the appropriate places on the page (in the speech bubbles, etc). There are many challenges, however. You have to make horizontally read English fit into vertically read Japanese bubbles. Then there's choosing the right font. Some typesetters use slightly different fonts for each character. This makes it easier to tell which person is talking.

I have no idea why I enjoy doing it so much. Maybe because it's something that's close to creating art without having to do the original drawing, since I suck at it so much. I enjoy the art a lot to begin with, too.

Here are some examples of what I've done so far. The original page is on the left and my finished version is on the right.

Ch. 52 - Kaichou wa Maid-sama


Ch. 390 Title Page - Naruto
To be used for Franky House test


No comments:

Post a Comment