Thursday, June 3, 2010

Princess Tutu - Anime

I thought this one looked cute, so I put it in my NetFlix queue a looooong time ago. It's about a duck who falls in love with a prince, but the prince has lost his heart. She becomes a girl, and then Princess Tutu, to find the pieces of his heart. The problem is that once he has his heart back, he is destined to fight the Raven and lose it once more. But the characters in this story are determined to change their fate.

I finally got around to finishing it, and I'm kinda pissed off at the ending. It's only a half-happy ending. Why not just take it the rest of the way? The prince ends up with his princess, although not the princess you expected, but the main character who makes the story possible doesn't really progress?! Fakir and Ahiru obviously end up loving each other, but they don't verbalize it. Ahiru just turns back into a duck even though she would rather be a girl. It seems like everyone just forgets about her except for Fakir, who writes by the pond while she swims. You could assume that he's writing a story to get Ahiru to turn back into a girl, but I'd rather see it happen. Pfft.

This won't make sense unless you've seen the series, but here's how I think the ending should have gone: Ahiru spreads hope through her dancing as a duck, returning the townspeople to normal and helping the prince destroy the raven. Ahiru is relieved, then collapses. Fakir rushes to her side, tells her thank you and that her hope helped him keep writing. He tells her he loves her and will love her no matter what. She opens her eyes and thinks "I love you too, Fakir. I wish I could be with you always." The same light of hope engulfs her and she turns into a girl.

See. That wasn't so hard, was it? Geez. Very cheesy, but it's shojo, so who cares? There's a manga, but it apparently doesn't add any more to the plot, so I'm not going to bother reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment